Making the Bed



I must admit as a child that I was spoiled in some ways. If I did not make my bed before I went to school my mother would make it for me. Clearly that is something that did not continue after I left home.


I am married to a woman whose mother insisted she made her bed every day even though they had domestic staff. My mother in law thought this was important for each of her children.


It is that it is only in the last couple of years that I have realised the significance of committing to make the bed each day before you leave the house. My wife is currently overseas and I’ve committed to her that each day before I leave the house, I will make the bed.


The significance in making the bed each day lies in the fact we are creatures which need ritual and habit. My work day habit is I get up and go to the gym, return and have breakfast get myself ready and go. Getting ready means leaving the house as I will find when I return - this is not a trite statement I want to come back to a neat and organised house so I need to leave it that way. A neat and organised house for me represents an ordered mind. We need an ordered mind to deal with the unexpected which today commences with answering the mobile on the way to work.


Several years ago, I saw a video on YouTube with a speech from U.S. Navy’s distinguished admiral William McRaven. McRaven was the commander of the US Special Operations Command – he was the chief SEAL. He was also the Chancellor of The University of Texas system. He is famous 2014 Commencement address to The University of Texas (May 16) is forever on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70


He taught me to understand that each day I leave the house with a list of things to do and whilst it is simple, we have ticked – the bed is made and the kitchen is clean. I know I’ll never finish all the things on my list, but I do know I have done the first two things on my list and I will come home to an organised house. For me it means my mind is organised and I am organised.


Working smart means having a organised and peaceful mind.


Paul Raftery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Cómo puedo financiar mis proyectos de energía solar, eólica o hidroeléctrica?

What does it take to qualify for an investment visa into Australia?

EV the rise and rise! The end of fossil fuel vehicles